RAINDEAR – SINGLE REVIEW

Raindear – I Wanna Be Your Lover 
Raindear - I Wanna Be Your Lover


Release Date: Out Now

It was inevitable in such a year as 2016 that the covers, tributes and reworkings of songs by the late and great would start to emerge. I anticipated and dreaded such an emergence in equal measure, I must admit. The first such tune to grace my inbox is a cover of Prince’s ‘I Wanna Be Your Lover’ as reimagined by Swedish artist Raindear (Rebecca Bergcrantz to her accountant) and it sets the bar high for any that wish to follow in its wake. Raindear’s soulful, dusky vocal rides atop some sparse instrumentation but that only shows off her beautiful tones and range. As the rhythm and beats build to power the middle section through, Raindear reminds me of the likes of Kimbra, Florence Welch and Lana Del Ray so I think Prince would approach of the sensuality and crafts(wo)manship behind this creative but respectful tribute.



Comments